i agree. that might be the case ( although you know better me being a
newbie). as is the case, this has now stopped. this is what i did.
removed the freeciv package from the system and reinstalled the package
(had earlier upgraded it) and now its working fine. was wondering though
if it only happens on an upgrade.
Thanks for your reply and advice. much appreciated.
cheers,
Kunal