William Allen Simpson wrote:

> The problem here is the user has set the setting, and IN THE SAME
> SESSION the setting is overwritten on the next load command.  This
> should be easily fixable.  I'm looking.

Are you sure it's the same server session?  From the description it
sounded to me like he left the game then loaded a new game.  This means
the server was launched anew and all server settings would be restored
to their defaults, pending the load.

The compress level is no more of a client setting than the savename,
which is also saved in the savegame.  It is, in fact, a server setting.
  Having it controlled by the client is possible but I don't see this as
any more desirable than for the client to control the default values for
all the other server settings (easy enough with /read and /write if they
were given an interface at the client).

-jason