An answer to much of the problem might be to use nation names instead of
player (ruler) names.  That would lose some flavor, but it's better to use
something that's uniform.

That would easily change:
   "You receive %s's worldmap."

   "You receive the %s worldmap."

This would better match elsewhere in the client:

     my_snprintf(buf, bufsiz, _("The %s give their worldmap"),
                nation_plural_translation(pclause->from->nation));

But this already seems to be abused.  For example,

     notify_conn(NULL, NULL, E_NATION_SELECTED,
                _("%s is the %s ruler %s."),
                pplayer->username,
                nation_name_translation(new_nation),
                pplayer->name);

That's not really a noun use, that's an adjective.  We really need to
ensure and document that the nation name is adjectival, and then ensure
that all uses are consistent.

We really have singular adjective, and plural noun.  That's not documented.