I tried to use the intl provided code and it appears that retval
always return "C" (I traced retval value at different area in the code),
doing a 'locale' in shell outputs this :

$ locale
LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="fr_FR.UTF-8"

So something I can't identify is wrong.

I'll try with a gettext-runtime framework using Nathan's .mo files..