2008/1/6, William Allen Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Yeah, but the city list in the ruleset DOES contain cities
> > that have never been part of the Principality of Catalonia, or
> > the Region of Catalonia or the current Autonomy.
>
> Which ones?  Do they speak Catalan?  How did they end up speaking
> Catalan without ever being part of Catalonia?  Autonomous colonies?

You might call it like that. There is an ambiguity here. Catalans settled
the kingdoms of Valencia and the Balearic Islands, so people there ended up
speaking Catalan. However, they were considered different territories
(although, they had the same king).

> Option 3: create an aragonese ruleset for the CROWN of Aragon.
> >
> I'm against this for the reasons stated in my previous message.
>
> An Aragonese ruleset for the landlocked kingdom might be OK.

A Crown of Aragon ruleset would be politically accurate. I'm not against it
being created, although I wouldn't do it. It shouldn't replace
catalan.ruleset, of course. They are different things.

As for the Catalan ruleset, I would leave it like it is. I don't like any of
Miguel's options: restricting to just cities inside present-day Catalonia
cripples a pretty cool ruleset, and forgets a rich history of Mediterranean
expansion. If Catalonia alone becomes independent in the future, this will
be a must for the nation to be considered "modern". In the meantime, there
is no reason for it. As William says, the English ruleset could perfectly
have Boston, Philadelphia (and even Bombay). The cities listed have all been
at some time ruled by a king who spoke Catalan.

As for changing the classification to "fictional", I think that it is too
drastic. Fictional is for "literary", "joke" or "impossible" nations: like
martians, antarctic penguins, or the old Middle-Earth nations. Political
questions aside, there are strong cultural ties between this list of cities.
Heck, there is even an Internet top level domain (.cat) for sites related to
Catalan culture, and it's used in Catalonia, València, Majorca, Southern
France (AKA Northern Catalonia), ... And there are a few people who think
all these territories should become an independent state.

Cheers,

Joan