Joan Creus wrote:
> I have checked both trunk and 2.1, and both seem to have this behaviour. I
> have even tried an old saved game (from 2.0) with the same results. Is it on
> purpose?

Certainly not!   Sounds like a long term bug.  Send the savegame?

server/unithand.c:1022

     notify_player(unit_owner(plooser), def_tile, E_UNIT_LOST_ATT,
                  /* TRANS: "... Cannon ... the Polish Destroyer." */
                  _("Your attacking %s failed against the %s %s!"),
                  unit_name_translation(plooser),
                  nation_adjective_for_player(unit_owner(pwinner)),
                  unit_name_translation(pwinner));
     wipe_unit(plooser);

NB: The opposite of "looser" isn't "winner", it's "tighter". :-)