I have been playing a game lately, and watching what happens as the size of
my empire increases. I believe this effect of additional unhappy citizens
didn't happen in 2.0 (at least, that would explain why, when I imported an
almost perfect saved game from 2.0 into 2.1, half my cities where in
turmoil).

I have reached 80 cities in democracy now, and I have more unhappy citizens
(5) than initial content citizens (4). I don't know whether this is a bug or
a feature, but William is right that the message should be more informative,
and perhaps the help texts should be improved, too.

What I would like to see here is some info about the total number of cities,
how many content citizens have cities by default, and a warning on when this
figure will change. Maybe something like:

40 cities, 10 above the limit of 30, 4 below 44. First 2 citizens content,
next 2 unhappy.

80 cities, on the limit of 80, 14 below 94. First 4 citizens unhappy, next 1
angry.

I'm not sure I have grasped the rule, though, and the figures are more or
less invented.

The only explanation I have found of this rule in the help texts is in some
governments, and in the help for the variables cityfactor and unhappysize.
It doesn't make much sense, though. My cityfactor is 14; however the help
for Democracy says "for each 16 additional cities another unhappy citizen
will appear."

Furthermore, for Communism there is no mention of this rule (why? all the
others have it)

Cheers,

Joan