It seems that through various versions of Freeciv, the
behavior of
specials squares when they were terraformed has been
changed.  I propose
that one could choose from a list of possible
behaviors when setting up
the game, rather than taking the option out of the
game creator's
hands.  This could be done as a server setting, and it
would be simple
to re-implement the old settings, but what would be
ideal would be
putting a *large* range of options available as a
user-controlled
setting.  Here is an example of how I would describe
various options:

1.) It rerolls whether or not there is a special
whenever the land type
is changed, and the new special will always be
appropriate to the land
type, even if land is changed to water or vice versa
2.) The special simply stays, but land specials always
stay on land, and
if it is changed to water, it goes away, and water
specials can never be
on land
3.) It changes to whichever tier of special is
appropriate for the new
land type, (ie, so if you change a land special to
swamp, it will either
be peat or spice, depending on wcich "side" the
special was on) (of
course, if land is changed to water or vice versa, the
special goes away)
4.) It changes an existing special to a random special
of the
appropriate type (so if you changed a plains/wheat to
swamp, it would
have a 50/50 chance of being peat or spice) (of
course, if land is
changed to water or vice versa, the special goes
away...)
5.) when the special is changed to another type of
terrain, the special
is always removed.
6.) Like 3, but water specials stay
7.) like 4, but water specials stay

This would allow people to customize the utility of
terraforming
specials in game, which expands gameplay options.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Also, I have
attempted to send
this request before, but I haven't been able to.  Thanks!