> [wsimpson - Sun Feb 24 12:51:14 2008]:
>
> Madeline Book wrote:
> > .... I mean a server setting (in
> > server/settings.c) like savepalace or killcitizen,
> > .... I don't see why
> > this should be for things (?) that change only from
> > ruleset to ruleset ....
> >
> Neither should be server settings.  That's the old way.  Most of these
> have been gradually moved to the (newer) effects rulesets.

Ah, thank you for that clarification. It does make much more
sense that gameplay rules be controlled by rulesets rather
than server settings (which has unfortunately been the
standard practice for warserver up until now).

> >> Likewise diplomats/spies, as that would completely destroy
> >> their stealth.
> >
> > Spies and diplomats do not have the Partial_Invis flag.
>
> Definitely a ruleset bug.  There's some oddity with the
> V_INVIS layer and various "hidden" test functions.  Probably
> later additions without sufficient documentation.

I would call it a ruleset omission rather than a bug. As
far is I know diplomats and spies never had the Partial_Invis
flag in the default ruleset, and players are highly cognizant
of that fact.

> > for stealth fighters/bombers, consider that submarines can
> > in fact be detected by their effect on city workers when their
> > controlling player is foolish enough to move them into the
> > field of the enemy city
>
> Again, definitely a bug.

I think it could be argued that this behaviour is a feature
rather than a bug, but I grant that if the only way to fix
crashes is to sacrifice it for the new behaviour, then it
is alright to lose it.

> > Consider also that an air or civilian unit can be used to
> > bypass ZOC, implying that they do in fact "control" the
> > tile, and hence should bounce city workers.
> >
> Interesting argument.  ZOC is changed considerably in civ3.
> Bad design decisions shouldn't be enshrined in perpetuity.

I'm not sure if this last sentence refers to ZOC handling or
the other arguments in the discussion. Since if it refers to
ZOC it is a non sequitor, I will assume it is refering to
the latter. ;)

I would hope that civ3 emulation be controlled by rulesets
(analogously to the civ1 and civ2 rulesets), and the core
functionality of the civserver be flexible enough to satisfy
the expectations of all users (multiplayer and singleplayer).

> However, none of this is relevant to this ticket, which is
> on the path to fixing crashing bugs....

I agree, but you did bundle a gameplay rule change into
your bugfix, to which this discussion is relevant. Try to
separate the two in the future.