On 09/04/2008, Ulrik Sverdrup wrote:

>  I realize this bug has distinct parts
>  1. /set startyear
>  2. MinYear
>  3. Use Slow_Down_Timeline to "effects-ize the calendar"
>
>  The first one is the least intrusive.

 It seems to me that number 1 without number 2 (& 3) is not providing
much value. I would implement this in 2 -> 3 -> 1 order.

 I don't like the way "Slow_Down_Timeline"  maps between effect values
and hardcoded turn lengths (in years). Would it be much harder to do
more generic "Turn_Length" -effect? Value of this effect would tell
current year increment/turn.

[effect_calendar_base]
name = "Turn_Length"
value = 50

[effect_calendar_slowdown1]
name = "Turn_Length"
value = -25
reqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"MinYear", "-1000", "World"
}
nreqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"MinYear", "0", "World"
"Tech", "Plastics", "World"
}

[effect_calendar_slowdown2]
name = "Turn_Length"
value = -30
reqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"MinYear", "0", "World"
}
nreqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"Tech", "Plastics", "World"
}

[effect_calendar_plastics]
name = "Turn_Length"
value = -49
reqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"Tech", "Plastics", "World"
}

 It would be possible, using enough reqs and nreqs, to reproduce space
tech effects exactly like they currently are. (Note that I'm not
saying that those effects are needed - just that it would be possible
to implement them in ruleset.)

 - ML