> [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Fri Jun 13 20:19:09 2008]:
>
> 2008/6/13 Madeline Book:
> >
> > Compare with the warclient version which also supports %
> > escape sequences and loading from a file.
>
>  It seems to send message line by line. I guess it's never used as
> popup? (or there would be separate popup for each line)

It was meant to generalize the "Welcome to the Freeciv
2.0.x Server running at..." message to allow admins to
write whatever they wanted there. Good examples can be
found on woodswolf's and haken's servers.

>  My version is mainly for one multiline popup. This is meant for
> casual user, who may don't even realize what he is doing when he
> selects server from metaserver list. Popup (by default) at least makes
> it clear that something 'unusual' happens; (s)he is no longer playing
> local game on his/her computer, but has connected to server where
> rules may differ from the ones (s)he is used to and other people may
> interfere with his/her game.

Fair enough, my position was more generally oriented for
server providers.

>  Can we take best of both worlds? Though full warclient functionality
> might be a bit overkill for mainline Freeciv...

I wanted just to point out some existing work so as to
potentially prevent someone re-writing code that has
already been written. ;)