I'm not surprised you didn't want to use my hack.  :-)

I tried your patch against 2.1.4. The changes to packhand.c didn't apply
cleanly and I had to do them by hand. Then when I tried to load a saved
game, I got this when I starting the game:

civclient: agents.c:768: wait_for_requests: Assertion
`agent->first_outstanding_request_id == 0' failed.
Aborted

I'll send you a savegame separately (it's about 700K, so I don't want to CC
[EMAIL PROTECTED], which looks like a list, with it).

Pat