A minor issue, but today when compiling S2_2 I got this
warning when linking:

../dependencies/lua-5.1/src/liblua.a(loslib.o): In function
`os_tmpname':
/home/book/src/freeciv/freeciv/git-svn/dependencies/lua-5.1/src/
loslib.c:60: warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use
`mkstemp'

Looking into the lua-5.1 sources it would appear that
the use of mkstemp is controlled by successive macros
LUA_USE_MKSTEMP set by LUA_USE_POSIX set by LUA_USE_LINUX
in luaconf.h.

So would it be possible to use the autoconf tools to
somehow make lua compile with the right defines? E.g.
with -DLUA_USE_LINUX on my linux system.