> [dmarks - Mon Jun 23 11:07:33 2008]:
>
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:14:57 +0900, Per I. Mathisen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Daniel Markstedt
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> IMHO another must-fix for 2.2 first beta is some kind of update
> >> to the default tilesets. William's new terrain rules have
> >> outdated all 2.1 tilesets. "Wooded hills" provide different
> >> resources from "verdant hills", for example, but use the same
> >> sprite and often exist in the same general area. If we release
> >> a beta without doing anything about this, I can promise it'll
> >> generate alot of negative buzz among veteran users.
> >>
> >> For starters, I will make ugly-but-usable tweaks to the current
> >> default tilesets, while trying to recruit the services of our
> >> artist community.
> >
> > I would rather suggest these terrain code changes are reverted.
> > I see no good reason for them other than the inane "we have to
> > do it like game XYZ". Even with new graphics they will be quite
> > confusing.
>
> How about this solution: Keep the code but edit the rulesets to
> restore 2.1-equivalent gameplay. For example, 'desert plain' and
> 'desert hills' have the same values and look the same for now,
> while we leave the window open for ruleset creators to add
> complexity and artists to add visual variety.

I think the new terrains should be in their own ruleset
(civ3?), leaving the default, civ1 and civ2 rulesets more
closely as they were in previous versions (before 2.2).

Incidentally I checked the civ3 manual's appendix where the
terrain types are listed and they don't match these new terrains
in 2.2 and trunk. So are the new terrains supposed to be for
civ4 emulation or some other game? :?

> I just recalled another 'bug' that the new terrain code has
> introduced: less accuracy of civ1 and civ2 rulesets. Both share
> the same terrainset as default, which is needless to say far
> from the original rules for those games. I remember trying to
> create a 'classical' terrainset late last year but ran into
> various issues; the current terrain code is not flexible
> enough to reimplement a simpler terrainset.

I don't like that at all. Isn't one of the stated goals of
freeciv the ability to emulate civ1 and civ2 rules? :(

So my opinion would be to revert the terrain changes, unless
someone is willing to do the work to restore civ1,2 terrain
rule compatibilty and move the new terrain types to their
own ruleset (and later to actually include the great quantity
of necessary new graphics).