I have applied the patch, and started a new game. It didn't make any
difference, and I still couldn't load any of the saved files.

Then I have started ./civ with the --log option, and the problem was in
fact:

3: Could not find readable file
"/home/joanc/.freeciv/saves/anemdeconya.sav..sav" in data path.
3: Could not find readable file
"/home/joanc/.freeciv/saves/anemdeconya.sav..sav.gz" in data path.

So most of the problem is really the way the filename to open gets
generated. Your patch may still fix the problem that generated all the
popups, I suppose.

Thanks,

Joan

2008/10/9 Egor Vyscrebentsov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote:
> >
> > > Quickest (not the best) fix is
> > >
> > > -          } else if (base_buf) {
> > > +          } else if (base_buf && base_buf[j] != '?') {
> > >
> > > at server/savegame.c:1862
> >
> > After some thoughts I've decided that this fix is proper.
>
> And after some more thoughts I've decided opposite...
> Patch with more or less accurate workaround is attached.
>
> There should be some action after each of two added LOG_ERRORs.
> One variant is to abort civserver. Opinions?
>
> --
> Thanks, evyscr

I have applied the patch, and started a new game. It didn't make any difference, and I still couldn't load any of the saved files.

Then I have started ./civ with the --log option, and the problem was in fact:

3: Could not find readable file "/home/joanc/.freeciv/saves/anemdeconya.sav..sav" in data path.
3: Could not find readable file "/home/joanc/.freeciv/saves/anemdeconya.sav..sav.gz" in data path.