Issue confirmed. Many tilesets do not have copyright notices in their
tarballs.

Freeland for example does have a GPL notice though, so not all tilesets
are affected.

Older tilesets are kept here with a COPYING notice:

http://freeciv-test.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freeciv-test/tilesets/

Is this enough to prove GPL status for these?

Daniel