It's been like that for as long as I can remember, the code that does
it checks the size x and size y of the map (if you go over ~80%
landmass it reverts too).
Think it was because it had trouble placing all the islands in such a
small space on a high land percentage.
When I removed the check a few months ago when I was trying to set up
a server it had no trouble with 35% landmass and size 2.

If you play topology 3 (wraps NS and EW) it makes islands on size 2.

IMO there should be 2 settings for size:
1. Number of starting tiles per player.
2. Number of extra land tiles per player.

(add the two together) X number of players X ocean percentage
multipler = total map tiles
Then figure out approximate map size in X and Y and generate.

That way you can have more control over the layout, tiny little
islands (< 6 cities) to start with with large landmasses in between to
fight over. Or no extra land mass besides what you start with.

On continent generator the starting tiles is the minimum the landmass
has to be to support 1 player, x2 for 2 players etc.

It would also scale easier for lots of players, right down to 2.

Hopefully someone will make some well balanced maps for duels & 3 or 4
players once the terrain editor is complete.
I'm sure they'll be annoyed that they're restricted to 1000, 2000,
3000 tiles when creating them though without hacking the source
code...

~Brendon