I have uninstalled g++, applied the patch, called make, and now the checks
warn of the missing compiler. Here is the relevant output:

checking for gawk... (cached) mawk
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl.exe... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
checking dependency style of g++... none
checking whether the C++ compiler works... no
configure: error: no acceptable C++ compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** [config.status] Error 1

Thanks a lot!

Joan