Dear people,

I'm playing Freeciv-2.1.9-win32-gtk2 on Windows XP.  I'm playing the
Catalans on normal difficulty - it's now 1140 AD.  The last few sessions,
when I build a new city, the name that comes up first is Perpiny - with an
"X" in a box immediately after it.  Originally I don't think it had the X
behind it, & I could cancel a few times and eventually another name would
come up.  Once I said OK to Perpiny and it opened a city window with no city
name - so I went back to the last save file.  Now, no matter how many times
I cancel, all that comes up is PerpinyX.  I can delete the text in Perpiny,
and I can highlight the X by dragging over it, but I can't delete or cut
it.  If I accept it, Freeciv crashes.

Rebooting, and uninstalling and reinstalling Freeciv don't help.  I suppose
that means that that particular game file is corrupted, but I'm really
attached to my little Catalan Republic - it's the best Freeciv game I've
played yet.  I would really like a way to fix it.

In terms of what it says on your bug reporting page about asking me more
questions, and having me compile the error log or whatever, *good luck!*  I
have a right brain injury which causes me to be chronically anxious,
overwhelmed, and fatigued.  I hate using email because of the lack of
immediate feedback, and I respond to it, if I do at all, very slowly.  I far
prefer the phone.  If someone wants to call me, you can sometimes reach me
(or leave me voicemail) at 303-442-3663 (I'm up every two days, I turn off
my ringer when I'm asleep, and I'm at my girlfriend's place a lot).  As to
me compiling the error log or whatever, I think that's beyond me at this
point.  I had a couple of jobs doing tech support, but that was ten years
ago ago, and I was always low-level.  That strikes me as programmer stuff,
and I'm not a programmer.  Also, I don't have a computer.  All this is
happening on my girlfriend's computer, so I don't have the ability to take
as much time as I need to figure it out.

I'm sorry I'm not much help - I just don't have the energy to be a fully
participating member of an online community.  I do really appreciate all the
work you guys have put into Freeciv.  It's a wonderful option for me right
now.  I don't want to buy Civilization IV for Windows because I'm going to
buy another Mac.

Thank you,

Paul Angel
303-442-3663

--
"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Philo