On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Marko Lindqvist<cazf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/8 John Keller <free...@johnkeller.com>:
>>
>> Patch-for-bug vs. patch-for-new feature might seem clear to those
>> involved for a time,
>
>  The fact it's sometimes hard to say if patch is new feature or bugfix
> (it's sometimes disputable if old behavior is a bug) is the reason I
> started posting all patches to just bugtracker - just like we used to
> do with RT.
>  For example: If I would write a patch that would remove despotism
> penalty of -1 from tiles producing more than 2 food/shield/trade, I
> would of course send it to features tracker since there is no bug in
> current behavior. However, people are regularly filling bugreports
> about how they get only 2 food/shield/trade from some tile that should
> yield 3. They would check bugtracker, not feature tracker.
>
>> [...]

In such a case I would give the bug duplicated status but leave it
open, and then add a reference to the patch. Users who experience the
bug will find the bug and can click through to the patch to see
current status.

How about this for the definitions of bug and patch:
* A patch is an issue for which you have prepared a fix or is planning
to prepare a fix yourself. Typically used by regular contributors.
* A bug is an issue for which you do not have a fix and wish for
someone else to find one. Typically used by users.

Daniel