Hooray for a working bug/patch tracker! I've submitted a renewed and
revised version of my proposed menu+command revamp. I've even used the
patch tracker (second patch in there) per the previous discussion for
non-bug tickets.

You can find my full explanation and the patches in patch #1188. This
email is more about the future...

My overall goal is to try to bring interface changes to Freeciv that
would make it both easier to learn and easier to use, as well as some
potentially "cool" things for interacting with the map and units. Lofty
goals, but you all will be the ultimate judge of course. I'm going to
try to take it in small steps... :-)

As my immediate next step, I was hoping to move the GTK client to
GtkUIManager (GtkItemFactory has been deprecated since 2.4, which
happens to be the base version of GTK required by Freeciv).

This wouldn't simply be an exercise in refactoring. There are some very
tangible benefits to GtkUIManager: One of these is the ability to
merge/unmerge menus, which would permit some interface cleanup that I
think everyone would find interesting.

Before proceeding, I wanted to test the waters and find out the interest
level. Would a move to GtkUIManager have a possibility of being
accepted, or are there reasons to keep GtkItemFactory?

Hoping you'll find my patches interesting...

- John