I also just had this same crash with 2.1.9:

civclient: city.c:553: city_owner: Assertion `((void *)0) != pcity && ((void
*)0) != pcity->owner' failed.

It happened after I had conquered a city and was trying to set the production
list.  The first several items went on fine, and the fourth one crashed.
Unfortunately, I'd stopped running freeciv in gdb just yesterday, because it
made it slow and I hadn't had a crash in a week.  It's a hard crash to
replicate so although I'm running in gdb again now I don't know if I'll get
it soon.