> I tried this with 5 players with a map of 2000 tiles (map size
> = 2). I think it should be possible to create 5 start positions
> on a map with 2000 tiles.
> Sometimes I can create a game with 30 players with the same
> settings in a map of 1000 tiles. It seems, the count of players
> does not effect the chance of successfully creating the game.

Sure player count affects probability to find suitable spot for all. But many
other things affect that too. The fact that map generator crashes quite often
with certain kind of parameters is a known bug and severe one. We should do
something to it before 2.2 release at least.

> In older versions (i.e. 2.1.5) I was allways able to create
> games with 30 players in maps of 1000 tiles.

There were other bugs in map generation that have been fixed since 2.1.5.
Unfortunately, fixing those bugs made this one more likely to happen. Mainly
these changes are about making separate islands really separate. Previously
map generator was combining islands that should be separate and thus made it
easier to find island big enough for all players.