I tried to work on it.  But, seeing more details of this patch, it looks like
very longturn designed.  It seems to admit that player are always played by
the same user.  The observers cases will probably have random behaviour...
Also this patch contains some errors like checking pplayer->connections ==
NULL which will always be evaluated to FALSE.

I think what would be great to simulate longturn offline events in regular
freeciv would just be to keep messages in a queue and clear it every turn.
All users, including players, observers and other people using /take,
/observe or anything else would be allowed to see what were the message this
turn.  This also would fix that people crashing would be able to see the
messages they didn't have time to check.