As far as I know, the maximum number of tiles is (2^15 - 1) because on some
places, the code assume the tile index is an signed short integer (e.g. path
finding code).

The size is automatically adjusted on the generator, and usually you don't
get exactly the number of tiles you requested.  So, a margin must be hold.
However, I don't think I would make a problem to grow the maximum of this
setting to 30.  Over could have critical issues on unexpected topologies.

Personally, I would also like to have bigger maximal values for gold and
techlevel, notably useful for testing and tracking bugs.