I happened to notice this the other day (as the wiki was still claiming
<http://freeciv.wikia.com/index.php?title=Combat&diff=15376&oldid=15033>
25%).

FWIW, I tracked the behaviour change to r11179
<http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?rev=11179&view=rev>, PR#14314, prior to
2.1beta1 (so it's been like this for the whole 2.1.x series).

The checkin comment gives no indication that this was a deliberate gameplay
change, and the comment added in unittools.c /* Includes barracks (100%),
fortress (25%), etc. */ (which contradicts effects.ruleset) suggests that it
was not. Maybe RT has more information, but I can't access it.