This bug happened because Freeciv used normal corruption for
notradesize/fulltradesize. Improvements that reduce corruption (Courthouse
and Palace) worked against notradesize/fulltradesize.

I played a game with notradesize=2, fulltradesize=4. Some capital city lost
its only trade point to corruption, but some other capital city had trade
surplus, when all capital cities were size 1 or size 2. Later, I noticed that
AI built Courthouse in many cities. Courthouse increased trade in size 2 and
size 3 cities, including if government was Democracy.

The patch might fix notradesize but not fulltradesize. After I update
Freeciv, I might want to check if Courthouse can still increase trade in
cities between notradesize and fulltradesize; if so, then I might open
another bug.