Update of patch #1412 (project freeciv):

             Assigned to:                    None => dmarks

Follow-up Comment #1:

For stuff we want to ship with mainline Freeciv the license must be GNU GPL.
Images from the Public Domain may be redistributed under the GNU GPL so
they're fine. GNU GFDL and cc-by etc. however are not 1:1 compatible with the
GNU GPL which complicates things a lot.

In the past, I have contacted Wikimedia users directly (e.g. on their talk
pages) asking them to dual license particular images for this purpose. Just
explain what the GNU GPL and Freeciv are. The responses have been generally
positive in my experience. :)