1. This is a bug, and it's probably what I observed for bug #15041.  The fix
you describe with clear_unit_orders() in the client side is good.

Another approach would be to allow to move in the server side from "busy"
units.  It would reduce the packet number traffic.  However, we should take
care to be sure about the implementation, I fear the AI use
unit_move_handling() to be sure the unit should move, so probably we would
need to set the ACTIVITY_IDLE in handle_unit_move().

2. I totally agree with you.