I have tried to update this patch to a version which would be accepted (add a
setting; save it in the savefile; ...). One (big) problem occurs:

For airlifting of a unit to an allied city the player has to know if this
city has an airport and airlifting capacity. This information has to be send
to the client (in a *modified* city_short_info packet). These packages are
only send if the player *sees* the city - so a unit has to be near the city
or there must be shared vision between the players.

I don't know if this is worth the work ...