The requirement for a water source for building an irrigation system is dealt
with in detail earlier in this section. The quoted paragraph is about
conversion of one terrain to another by issuing the "irrigate" command (e.g.,
on Forest, Jungle, or Swamp in the default ruleset), which does not require a
water source. So the stated change would not be appropriate.

I have checked the source and tried it, and converting from one terrain type
to another doesn't require a water source even if the "irrigate" command is
used.

This section is clearly confusing; this is the second report (cf bug #15222
as dmarks says). I'll see if I can rework the whole section to be clearer.