             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: ulrik.sverd...@gmail.com
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: 2.2
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
         Planned Release:

I have found the following problem in the official 2.2 release (using 2.2.0-1
from debian unstable, assumed unchanged from original), and in SVN rev r17019
of the S2_2 branch that I compiled.

The gtk client is unable to start local games (where it starts the server and
then connects to it). If I click "Start New Game", the client will just hang
for a long time, until it timeouts ("you have to start the server yourself,
sorry").

Manually starting the server as 'freeciv-server' simply, then using
'freeciv-gtk2 -a', we meet a "Connection refused" error.

The workaround found is that if I explicitly specify the bind address of the
server, it will connect to it just fine:

/usr/local/bin/freeciv-server -d 3 -b localhost
/usr/local/bin/freeciv-gtk2 -a

After this it works. The game plays fine!

I don't know if my hostname configuration is wrong, and if it is related:
$ cat /etc/hostname
ulrik-ibook

 $ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 ulrik-ibook localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.1.1 ulrik-ibook.lan ulrik-ibook

# deutsche weiterleitung
gmail.com mail.google.com

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

--------

I tried some variations of the hosts file's first two lines, without any
success.

 $ host ulrik-ibook
Host ulrik-ibook not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
 $ host localhost
localhost has address 127.0.0.1

--------

2.2 is an amazing version of Freeciv, so many parts of the Game were touched
and improved. I also like the UI reorganization. So big thanks and
congratulations to the devs for accomplishing this release.