back to the main topic:

> That is, it represents different things at different times, and you can
have a more severe icon with a smaller actual risk.
> This doesn't make much sense to me. I haven't tried going back through svn
to see if I can work out why it was implemented this way. I could easily just
switch the icons to being based on (percentage) risk all the time, as you
suggest.

I'm also for displaying one definition. If more information are needed they
are available as tooltip.

The svn goes way back to rev 2563 (nuclear winter; it's a copy of global
warming) and rev 2418 (global warming). There is no indication to a reason