I read especially common/city.[ch]:
* I don't understand the _placeholder for searching_ comments. Some values
are initialized somewhere else (e.g. pcity->worklist), some others don't
(e.g. pcity->client.info_units_present).
* _pcity->illness_trade = 0;_ could be moved into the
ZERO_VARIABLES_FOR_SEARCHING.
* Why do the memset() calls use _something * sizeof(*array)_ instead of
sizeof(array) which seems really safer?

> reduce size of the city structure to its minimal size.
* It is not really the case, but I am not sure it would be very useful for
Freeciv. The comment

/* Nothing behind the union please! */

may be dropped, because it doesn't make sense here.