I'm not sure if i'm using the correct terminology, but in the GTK city dialog
there is a line of 'tabs' along the bottom: Overview, Production, Happiness,
Governor, and Settings.  I guess what i call tabs is more properly called
pages?  In any case, i submit that keeping track of trade routes is important
enough to justify having a tab/page just for that.  I don't have a mockup
ready, but it would be essentially the same as what is currently presented by
clicking on the trade number.  This shouldn't take up much screen real estate
other than the length of the label on the tab.

The only thing that would be better is if the main 'Civilization' menu had a
new item which could display how many trade routes belong to each city, and
name of the trading partner.  This is definitely off topic and will get a new
ticket once i've worked up a proposed layout.