On 4 July 2010 10:29, Karl Goetz <no-reply.invalid-addr...@gna.org> wrote:

>> > Ah right. We (debian) have been pretty good about keeping
>> > freeciv up to date in unstable, and new versions have (thus far)
>> > rebuilt fine on older releases. I'd hope that anyone who wants a
>> > debianised package could use the testing package and rebuild it
>> > on their deb based platform.
>>
>> Debian typically releases packets month or two after we have made
>> official release, but for some people anything from stable branch (as
>> opposed to development version in trunk) is already old news. It's
>> probably rare that such a person would need debian package, though.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> I personally built debian packets during S2_2 development cycle to
>> test libfreeciv as shared library in system directory and I want
>
> is libfreeciv a new part of freeciv?

 It's part common to both server and client. Previously it was always
built as static library (named libcommon back then) and linked to all
binaries. Now we use libtool, and libfreeciv can be optionally built
as shared library.

>> date with build system changes and improvements and downstream could
>> check those changes and make updates to their files accordingly.
>
> Would you be interested in packaging (debian/ dir) suggestions from
> debian?

I do download debian source package every now and then to check if you
have something we would want to take back to upstream. But of course
we listen any other suggestions as well :-)

> Would you be willing to ship your debian/ dir as an example.debian (or
> similar name), or do you prefer to leave it as debian?

 Well... I guess it servers our users better if we leave it as debian.
So it's ready for use for those who want to export latest development
version from our svn and build debian packets. Those building Debian
debian packets will use your debian dir anyway.

>> Big build system changes between S2_1 and S2_2 that may affect
>> distributions are possibility to build libfreeciv as shared library
>> and possibility to build multiple clients at once. Our debian build
>> files take advantage both of those features.
>
> I'll definitely have another look at the shipped debian dir, because I
> was wondering how sane it would be to switch to the code for building
> multiple clients in a single run.

 One of the reasons we implemented this building multiple clients in a
single run was that some other distribution asked for it. Second
reason was that we (or at least I) want to more easily test during
development that some patch is not breaking build for *any* client.

 - ML