> I use Ubuntu Karmic 32 bit. Is there a possibility that these
> casts can go wrong on 32 bit or 64 bit?

This could be the case for size_t ... (32 bit on 32 and 64 bit on 64?)

> Compilation of savegame2.c works OK with this patch, but I
> can't test if saving/loading the game is correct because of
> another warning in gtkitemfactory.h (that's not freeciv's
> problem, but it prevents me from compiling the whole source).

It's due to an error in gtk and you using '--enable-debug=checks'. If you use
only '--enable-debug=yes' it should work. See patch #1493 and ./doc/HACKING)

> Maybe there is a way to compile freeciv with debugging support
> without warnings being treated as errors?

Yes, use '--enable-debug=yes' or (if it's your system and you can do it)
change one line in gtkitemfactory.h (see the link in ./doc/HACKING).