                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: cazfi
         Planned Release: 2.4.0

Our http module and code in server/meta.c and modinst/download.c is
simplistic way of obtaining documents from web. It has many shortcomings we
have somehow been able to live with so far, especially as the functionality
has been needed only for metaserver handling.
Now that also freeciv-modpack needs this functionality, those shortcomings
are (even) harder to live with.

Would it be overkill to replace our own implementation with libcurl usage?
That would fix a lot of problems and give tons of new features. The most
important features for us would be:

1. Graceful error handling
2. Handling of http redirects. Had freeciv servers and clients out
   there had this, at least one incident of metaserver downtime
   could have been avoided by the metaserver side arrangements
3. Support many other protocols in addition to http. This would
   not make much sense with metaserver, but freeciv-modpack would
   turn into much more powerful tool with this

Schedule: This would add libcurl dependency for Freeciv. It could potentially
cause some portability issues that take time to resolve. It would also take
some time to fully implement the feature. For these reasons I'd consider
libcurl usage 2.4.0 feature rather than 2.3.0 one. For 2.3.0 we should still
fix worst problems in our own implementation.

Comments, please.