I beg to differ: if i look at the file titled 'INSTALL' that comes with every
GNU package i've unpacked, i see the following beginning at line 62:

"To also remove the
     files that `configure' created (so you can compile the package for
     a different kind of computer), type `make distclean'.  There is
     also a `make maintainer-clean' target, but that is intended mainly
     for the package's developers.  If you use it, you may have to get
     all sorts of other programs in order to regenerate files that came
     with the distribution."

As i read it, no ordinary user should ever have to type `make
maintainer-clean'.  That is reinforced by the fact special tools would be
needed to repair the damage.  Thus, it seems likely that 'make distclean'
should delete client/packhand_gen.c and any similar files.  Is python truly
needed for this?  It seems a simple shell script could rm *_gen* in the build
directories.  Elsewise, i think python would still be needed to carry out the
task for the `make maintainer-clean' target...

Since GNU seems to be at odds with itself [and we aren't officially a GNU
project, anyway], maybe we should look past the letter of the law at the
intent.  I submit that when somebody types 'make distclean' they intend to
restore the project back the way it was before they initially typed
'./configure'.  It would be best if we could find a [preferably low impact]
way to make something like happen.