On my ubuntu 10.04, I get:

       NI_NAMEREQD
              If  set,  then  an  error  is returned if the hostname cannot
be
              determined.

Which seems quite different. It doesn't mention to return the numerical
address.

> We can use NI_NAMEREQD because there is no reason to get the
> numeric address again; but NI_NAMEREQD would not solve this
> bug. Or would it?

If getnameinfo() doesn't return 0, it would force the server to use the
numerical address got with inet_ntop(). So it probably would fix the bug.
However, I don't know how to reproduce to test.

Do you have an other idea how a connection can get an empty hostname?