And I replied in comment #12 ... are we creating a loop? :D

To reproduce:
0 load the savegame from  bug #16467
0 start freeciv-server on command prompt
0 start a client and join the game with username "HanduMan"
0 start another client and join the game as "HanduMie"
0 in one of the clients, choose _Leave_ from _Game_ menu

The server dies quietly and both clients leave (obviously because there is no
server anymore).

If you choose _Quit_ or quit by closing the window, the server stays alive.

This may be Windows related. I'm running XP (SP3).