On 16 Oct, 2010, at 6:40 PM, David Zuccaro wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 08:16 -0700, David Lowe wrote:
>> On 14 Oct, 2010, at 7:47 PM, David Zuccaro wrote:
>>
>>> What is causing my x windows server to crash. How can I fix it?
>>>
>>> This is the error in syslog:
>>> Oct 15 10:36:48 Palatinus gdm[3173]: WARNING:
>>> gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
>>
>> Is this a new install, or one that has recently been updated?  This
>> specific error has in the past been solved by rolling back to a
>> previous version video driver or updating the video driver.  In any
>> case, it is likely that the error will randomly pop up from time to
>> time until resolved - i.e. you will probably see this same error even
>> if you never start FreeCiv.  You may also want to file a bug report
>> with Debian.
>
> It started happening when I switched to a 21.5" monitor and added an
> extra 3 GB of physical memory.

        I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that the blame for the crashes can be
laid on the video driver having difficulties using the settings for the old
monitor on the new monitor.  I've not tried Debian yet [i actually have a disc
i mean to give a whirl, but haven't found time to do so], however, there's
probably enough similarity to Ubuntu to make this work.  I'll list them in
order of pain involved.

1) You probably have a GUI tool to configure the driver.  For instance, the
proprietary Nvidia driver includes "NVidia X Server Settings", which is
attached to my System -> Administration menu.  Gnome also provides a tool for
the open source drivers, on my system it is in the System menu -> Preferences
-> Monitors.

2) [from a terminal] "sudo dpkg-reconfigure <package name>", where <package
name> is something like xserver-xorg or perhaps the name of the package that
provides your video driver.  The difficulty is knowing exactly which package it
is that needs to be configured, apt/aptitude might be able to help out here.

3) Another method would be to totally log out of X and use a single user shell
or console.  I'm not sure how this is accomplished in Debian, but it may
involve selecting an option from the grub/lilo/yaboot menu.  Once there, type
the following commands:

cd /etc/X11/
Xorg -configure

        When that is finished test your settings by typing:

startx

*) In days of yore we might have deleted the configurations file, but i
understand that changes in the way X.Org 1.4 stores settings make that less
useful in many cases.

Sent from my MacBookPro

If a train station is where the train stops, what is a workstation?