> In my opinion Qn_(untranslated_name()) test should create a
> fatal error for the ruleset. It should test rule_name() or
> untranslated_name() with the qualifier. Note, it doesn't check
> the translation neither...

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Do you mean the test for
uniqueness in load_nation_names()?

The intent behind those tests (after my changes) was twofold: (a) to avoid
duplicate rule_names, which is clearly and unambiguously a fatal problem for
the game itself, and (b) to avoid two separate game entities having the same
user-visible string, which is more arguable. That's why I'm comparing after
stripping off the qualifier with Qn() (and it's more or less equivalent to
the old code). Comparing with the qualifier included could let through two
identical-to-the-user nations, and I'm finding it hard to think of a reason
why we'd ever want two nations with the same English string and different
qualifiers.

In any case I think most of the value in this check is to catch silly
mistakes when adding new nations, such as forgetting to edit the name in the
file you copied (which is I assume why we have this check for nations and
nothing else). In that case, the qualifier likely won't be changed either, so
a check with or without Qn_() will catch this class of error.

> As untranslated_name() is nearly not used and rule_name() is
> now a field of the name_translation structure, the pointer
> member ("translated") should be useful to keep the start of
> the string to display to the user Qn(vernicular).

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're suggesting here.

> I am also thinking about adding functions like
> dio_put_name_translation() and dio_get_name_translation() to
> handle them through the network.

I did wonder about standardising the transport of rule/"pretty" names over
the network.

> Note that those changes would also useful for the settings
> pretty and support names (which are actually name_translation
> and rule_name).

That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that, despite working on the
options code recently.