> However, if you are in hurry, I have no objection. We could
> still discuss after that.

No, I would like to discuss this before it is committed.

My aim are savegame files which are compatible between freeciv versions and
which are structured. One format definition for each change in the
development branch would be perhaps to much. But I think to add such a
possibility for changes between major/minor/patch numbers would be helpfull
(2.3.0 gets '3' with S_2_3 set to version '4' which is used when 2.3.1 is
released and so on). The development branch would need a high number to leave
space for some patch versions.