Am Dienstag, 16. November 2010, 16:48:20 schrieb Matthias Pfafferodt:
> After the increase of the number of players and the map size I did plan a
> check of the memory requirement of the different freeciv versions. I
> finished this now and the attached pdf files shows some results.
>
> The first two pages show the RAM used by the server as listed by pmap. A
> savefile with the default settings and aifill = X, map size = Y at turn 100
> was loaded. Only one value of X or Y was changed while the other was set to
> 10.
>
> The requirements increase fro release to release; but with 2.3 it goes down
> for bigger maps. I also tested a game with aifill 100 and mapsize 100 - the
> server allocates up to 900MB RAM!

This value can be analysed with regard to the map. Each player map (for fog of
war) needs for each tile 48 byte. For a map size of 100 and 100 players this
will be:

bytes per tile: 48B
tiles on the map: 100 * 1000
player: 100

48B * (100 * 1000) * 100 = 480000000B = 457MB

The main map needs no memory compared to this value:

bytes per tile: 88B
tiles on the map: 100 * 1000

88B * (100 * 1000) = 8800000B = 8MB

For the player I have not checked the actuel memory size, but one has to take
into account that for each player information about all other players are
needed (diplomatic state)!

--
Matthias Pfafferodt - http://www.mapfa.de
Matthias.Pfafferodt <at> mapfa.de