                 Release: 2.2 r17638
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: *BSD
         Planned Release:

A rebel nation, born from civil war, has no capital city. If the rebels build
a new city, there is no Palace. (A new city normally gets a Palace unless the
player already has a capital.) The game seems to have confusion about whether
the rebels have a capital.

A search found bug #15548 (nation split off by civil war should get a
palace), but that bug is closed.

The problem might be in server/plrhand.c. I am using r17638 of S2_2 branch.

0 civil_war() calls split_player() to create the rebel player.
0 split_player() does 'cplayer->capital = TRUE', though the rebel player has
no cities and no capital.
0 civil_war() transfers some cities to the rebel player.
0 civil_war() calls city_build_free_buildings() with a random city to become
capital.
0 But city_build_free_buildings() from server/citytools.c does nothing
because pplayer->capital is true.

The confusion is that the rebel player has a true capital flag, but no city
is capital.

I first noticed this bug when I took control of a rebel player who had no
capital. I had no research. I needed Palace but did not know Masonry. I built
a new city, but there was no Palace. I found that capital flag was true inside
saved game. I was using old freeciv version, so I did not report bug.

After some hours, I have finally triggered a civil war with recent S2_2.
(Civil wars are not easy to trigger!) I have now verified that a rebel player
starts with no capital. Just open the attached x-civilwar-turn235, take Avram
Iancu of Romania (who split from Bulgaria) and see that Romania has no
Palace.

File Attachments:

Date: Monday 11/29/2010 at 21:16  Name: x-civilwar-turn201.sav.bz2  Size:
53kB   By: kernigh
at turn 235, rebel player Avram Iancu of Romania has no Palace
Date: Monday 11/29/2010 at 21:16  Name: x-civilwar-turn218.sav.bz2  Size:
55kB   By: kernigh
at turn 235, rebel player Avram Iancu of Romania has no Palace
Date: Monday 11/29/2010 at 21:16  Name: x-civilwar-turn235.sav.bz2  Size:
61kB   By: kernigh
at turn 235, rebel player Avram Iancu of Romania has no Palace