                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

In the file diplomats.c is the code for diplomat/spy contests.
It is in the function diplomat_success_vs_defender.

In a diplomat vs diplomat battle the defender has a chance to get promoted if
successful, the attacker does not.

This adds a huge advantage to the defender because promoted units become
almost invincible against attackers of lesser rank.

In the last longturn game I managed to capture an enemy city in the heart of
his territory early on. He repeatedly tried to incite a revolt in this city.
My defending diplomat managed to become elite and became almost invincible
against green diplomats (95% chance in favour of defender). A solution is
allow attacking diplomats to gain promotion elsewhere so that he can then
incite my city with a unit of equal value.