Your patch does not seem correct.
I see MAX_VET_LEVELS defined as 10 in in fc_types.h
Yet I assume you are using the number 4.

If you use 4 then the chances would be

The chance for a green spy to beat a green diplomat = 75%
The chance for a veteran spy to beat a green diplomat = 80%
The chance for a hardened spy to beat a green diplomat = 85%
The chance for an elite spy to beat a green diplomat = 90%

Note max is 90% not 95%

An added benefit is that promoted diplomats no longer have much of a bonus
over green ones. This removes the problem of 'invincible' elite diplomats.
Here an elite unit is only likely to win two times out of three.

The chance for a green diplomat to beat a green diplomat = 50%
The chance for a veteran diplomat to beat a green diplomat = 55%
The chance for a hardened diplomat to beat a green diplomat = 60%
The chance for an elite diplomat to beat a green diplomat = 65%