I recall that I was able to promote my diplomats by bribing enemy units.

The question is whether I can promote my diplomats by eliminating enemy
diplomats in cities. I opened a game with S2_3 and used the editing mode to
put diplomats. When I eliminate a diplomat (with the message "An enemy
Diplomat has been eliminated by your Diplomat.") then my diplomat survives,
but never gets a promotion.

I guess that the only way for a diplomat to survive, after taking an action
against a city, is to eliminate a defending diplomat. All other actions
against a city do disband the attacking diplomat.