Were your Spy movements such that you'd expect messages to be generated in
the Messages window? (Not that I can think what would cause that, offhand.)

Don't suppose you happen to have a savegame, do you?

I mocked up the obvious toy scenario in the editor given your description
(attached) and didn't immediately reproduce the problem.

Alternatively, if you can reproduce this, can you get a backtrace as
described at <http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Bug_Reporting>?

(file #11531)

File name: loadsaspies.sav.bz2            Size:13 KB